To travel for University business

Download the travel step-by-step summary from the CU Procurement Service Center.

Approval: First, fill out an INSTAAR Travel Authorization Form. This insures you have the funding to travel and that the travel is considered conduct of CU business. Travel funded by sponsored projects (grants) requires a specific statement as to the business purpose of the travel—why is it important for the research project that the travel happen. (If you are using a Mac, please fill out the form using Adobe Acrobat® or Adobe Acrobat Reader®—not Mac Preview. This will keep your accounting person from running into any Mac vs. Windows issues.)

If you are a Directorate member, submit the form to Jim White for approval. Non-Directorate members: submit the form to your supervisor.

See your Accounting Technician about whether you need to get a CU travel card if you don’t have one already. This card can be used to pay for hotels, ground transportation, rental cars and gas, airport parking, etc. To get it, you must take online training (log in, click the My.Training tab, click “Click here for SkillSoft - CU Learning Center Online and Instructor Led Training (ILT),” search for travel, and click “CU: Travel and Travel Card Training”).

Use your A Card (your accounting technician has one if you don’t) for conference registration.  If you pay for this from personal funds, you can’t be reimbursed until the trip is finished.

Book your trip through either

  • Concur travel and expense system
  • CU's authorized travel agent Christopherson Business Travel.
    • phone: 303 694-8744    toll-free: 1 855 462-8885
    • fax: 303 741-6329
    • business hours: Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mountain Time.
    • emergency after hours: 1 800 787-2390 (must reference service code AI79).
    • assistance when booking online: email or call 1 888 535-0179 Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Mountain Time.

If you buy an airline ticket yourself online, you must have a quote from Christopherson Business Travel to prove that you got a better deal.  If not, you can’t be reimbursed.  You won’t be reimbursed until the trip is finished.  Never use a CU travel card to pay for an online ticket.

Conference hotels may need to be booked through the conference.

Meals: Pay for meals with personal funds, not a CU travel card. You will be reimbursed a per diem rate for meals, based on your destination.

Mileage: If you are using your personal vehicle for travel, use personal funds to buy gas, not a CU travel card. You will be reimbursed a flat mileage rate for your travel in your personal vehicle.

When you get back, promptly give all receipts to your Accounting Technician. She will prepare a reimbursement report for you in Concur. If reimbursement does not happen within 90 days, you will be charged income tax on the reimbursement per IRS rules. If you are being reimbursed by a third party for some or all of your travel expenses, please let your Accounting Technician know before you travel.

International travel

Special insurance and travel assistance is available to you through the CU system.  Read more.

For non-employee trips

Complete the CU Non-employee Travel Request form and use Christopherson Business Travel.

Use your A Card for conference or workshop registration.

Airport travel and parking

Your CU-issued EcoPass and $2.50 gets you on the AB or other airport-bound bus.

Discount parking is available at DIA for CU employees from these vendors:

  • Canopy Parking – 8100 Tower Road
  • DIA Park – 17151 East 32nd. Avenue
  • The Parking Spot – 19901 East 56th. Avenue
  • Wally Park – 24200 East 78th. Avenue

For more information see the PSC web page on DIA parking.

The fine print

All travel shall be completed using the most economical means available that will satisfactorily accomplish university business. Upgrades (including extended leg-room upgrades) and Business or First Class travel are allowed only with justification, e.g.: cost savings (avoid subsistence costs/lost productivity); foreign travel (continuous scheduled flight >14 hours); foreign travel (security/sanitation/health exceptions); necessary (accommodate a disability/special need).

Travelers who wish to purchase airline tickets on an external internet site (not Concur Travel & Expense) must first compare the full cost of the outside site’s fare with the fares shown in Concur, and print the list of Concur fares. If total cost of non-Concur fare is less than the Concur fares, travelers can proceed with the non-Concur ticket purchase using a personal credit card. Include itemized receipt/proof of payment with expense report and attach the comparison quote printout to the expense report.

Concur Expense is used to reconcile Travel Card charges and to request reimbursement for University travel and non-travel-related expenses by employees. Non-employees and students use the Non-Employee Reimbursement form to request reimbursement. The traveler’s costs cannot be reimbursed until after the trip is completed.

Fly America Act: U.S. federal grantees and employees are usually required to conduct air travel on U.S. flag airlines. Learn more. The Open Skies Agreement provides some exceptions to the Fly America Act.